residential-electrical-remodels-st charles, missouri
Top Signs of Poor Electrical Wiring

Top Signs of Poor Electrical Wiring

O'Fallon, St Charles & Saint Louis, Missouri

Top Signs of Poor Electrical Wiring O'Fallon, MO

Part of being a responsible homeowner is keeping up with maintenance and other obligations about the house. While you can probably handle some basic repair and maintenance, other tasks, such as those that require working with electricity, are best left up to a qualified licensed electrician in O’Fallon MO.

Many homes in the St. Louis area were built well over 40 years ago, and the electrical codes have changed drastically with the passing of decades. The chances of having poor or inadequate electrical wiring in those older homes are great. It’s challenging to renovate and replace old wiring but it’s important to keep your family and house safe.

Here are some common signs of poor electrical house wiring, which should prompt you to call an O’Fallon electrician right away.

Smoky or Burning Odor

If you can detect an unpleasant smell from one or more burning outlets in your house, this is no doubt a fire hazard. The smell could be from wires burning or the plastic outlet itself. In this situation, unplug all electrical gadgets from the outlet and switch off the breaker. Then, call an electrician to check the wiring throughout your house. In older homes, it was common practice to place electrical wiring outside the walls. You may need an update.

Chewed or Frayed Wiring

Chewed or frayed wiring is a big red flag, and usually indicates you have rodents in your house. Wiring is covered with a protective plastic, but when it’s broken, this exposes the inside wires and thus the electrical circuit becomes open. Open wires will make electricity arcing, which can lead to electrical fires and shocks.

Hot Electrical Outlets

If you see darkened, hot, or scorched electrical outlets, this is usually due to broken or open wires within the walls. Hot outlets and wires heat up from energy leaks, which poses a hazard especially in old houses, causing natural fires and electrical surges.

Flickering Lights

Especially in older houses, it’s common for lights to dim, buzz, or flicker for no apparent reason. If your lights flicker after you plug in an appliance or utensil, this is probably because the flow of electrical current is compromised. If you hear buzzing or popping sounds when turning on the lights, this is also an indication of wiring problems.

Circuit Breakers Trip Frequently

Breakers stop electrical flow when they sense overloaded wiring. So, if your breakers are repeatedly tripping, there’s a problem. Reduce how many gadgets you’re using in that circuit, but if that doesn’t work, call an electrician to update your circuit breaker and provide a new panel if necessary.

Paying attention to the above poor wiring and electrical issues in your home could save your life. Don’t hesitate to call a St. Louis electrician if you notice any of these things happening in your home.

Master Electrician O’Fallon, MO

Our experienced electricians in O’Fallon MO can address any of the above issues and more, so contact us at 636-294-8562 today to set up an appointment and get a free quote and inspect your electrical wiring.

Latest Blog Posts

St Louis Electrical

electrician surge protection discount st louis, mo
Master Electrican Missouri.

Affordable electrical contractor serving the St Louis, MO area

Contact US
Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved.